X SALEM chap 5

Harward
Sunday
03:14 p.m.

Increase Mather's studio is simple, owning only four pine wood chairs, a small table with bent legs and a huge section dedicated to books. A bookrest. this represents him completely.
I remember how afraid of him I was during my bachelor of arts.
He was not though and when we needed he was always there to help.
- Foxcroft, my dear, you will excuse me but today's prayer has gone on beyond its usual durance, it is never enough for my brothers just for me to talk to them - he walks inside the room from the door, like an apparition of calm and serenity, he stretches both arms to warmly welcome me, holding my forearms.
- What was it about today?- I ask him curiously, as we sit facing each other.
- Predestination. I have used the word of Luke and Paul, but some of us do not seem to understand Predestination to the fact that Adam and Eve were extremely corrupted and that the Original Sin cannot simply be forgotten with a catholic rite. We are still busy with this in these new lands, when we should start thinking about converting all the american savages. But let's talk about you, what news do you bring from that disgraced place? Cotton has just come back but has not seen you. And you have looked for me, because you have doubts...- he asks, full of concern.
- Yes, and I thank you for seeing me on a sunday. You'll forgive me for my being in a rush, but I ought to go back there as soon as possible - i apologise to the wise man.
- Tell me about the trials... have you examined the documents? the locations? - he wears his big glasses on his nose.
- Yes, that is why i am here. DO you think that the diabolic proof is enough, that is someone's accusation , to execute someone? - my voice thins down, as the old face of my teacher flinches.
HE reads through the documents I have handed him.
- WHat exactly are you implying? Cotton has reported back to me everyday with the news....he has been forced to talk to the people from a hill yesterday because they were impressed with Rev Burroghs' prayer just yesterday. Cotton has argued that the devil hides in the form of an angel. Was it not that clear? My son is convinced about the existence of witches in Salem - he answers truthfully, looking up from the papers.
- I know how much you love your son and how much you value his arguments... Cotton and I have always agreed on most things, besides being good friends. BUt something else is happening in Salem that has nothing to do with spells. Perhaps. For now, everyone in Salem is neglecting their occupations. - i try to instigate the doubt in the man.
But i ought to proceed along the way I had set myself initially, upon which i am conducting my research.
- Son, I hope you can be more exhaustive. Work is the only way to heaven. To neglect it is to miserably fail.- he nods to let me continue with my story having noticed the change in my mood.
- I will be. The evidence in the latest 12 cases of haning has been - i read from my notes - the accusations of the possessed, as I said; and the rare confessions of the accused; you know exactly that in a state of distress, to avoid torture, one may be set to confess to anything ...- i begin.
- That is correct...but perhaps the Lord shows us that through quick repentance one can condemn the body and save the soul...- he convenes.
- Another alleged piece of evidence: the demonstrated lack of religiosity of the guilty. Should the person not remember a part of the King James or not remember a prayer they were sentenced as guilty. Perhaps that was something to do with age..- I continue.
- BUt Foxcroft, this is still a plausible reason. If we do not remember the prayers, the Devil can catch us through the evil eye.-
- I agree, but...but these have been considered as fully incriminating evidence about blasphemous rituals. - i try to push him.
- Of what kind- he asks.
- Some men have diclared to have been tempted to fornication with ghostly figures of women, some of them of dubious reputation, of course, but I do not know if this should be enough..- my doubts are expressed to him in hope I could receive advice.
- Any other evidence?- he continues
- No, the usual: calamities afflicted upon the girls, possibly from a distance. Someone has been accused of causing physical damages or apparitions of strange animals. Or so have argued the possessed.- i add.
- Have you found magical bottles underneath the houses? Dried cats? Ritual marks? Or are we just following rumors? What about the evidence of anal excrescence on the three supposed witches?- he asks shy,
- NOthing of the sort, for now. I am still looking for concrete evidence, and that is why I am going back to Salem. I know you and Cotton have mentioned me to Stoughton for this reason. For the moment I have not found any pressing evidence: no bottles full of iron pins, no human hair, no horse skulls around the houses. No magical circles indented in the wood. All the evil seems to come from the form of jealousy towards the neighbour, rather than from magical rituals. Or perhaps from the girls' wish to be part of a group. This is demonstrated by Warran, who, as soon as the Proctors were arrested and she tried to back down was promptly accused by her friends. WHich is why she decided to accuse again. - I argue.
- Well, investigate, son, investigate. If these should remain the only motives to condemn a man or a woman to death then I will make my move, i wil speak to the other pastors and we will try to draft a document to draw order to the Court itself. It is better than 10 suspected witches escape death than to condemn and kill even one innocent woman. You have two months, I will start my sermons to sensitize the population in october. Drive out the evil, Foxcroft Moulder, and be always ready. We need to stop the loss of sisters and brothers. WE cannot allow Satan to win. May the Lord protect you. Send my regards to your mother and to the dearest William..- he stretches a hand on my head and then leaves me.
' I hope i can. they have even imprisoned a four year old girl and two dogs' i consider silently as I walk through the halls of the university to the exit when I hear a voice calling my name.
- Moulder! WHat now, you do not say goodbye?' Cotton's voice hits my ears from the left.
I stop and turn, seeing him coming from the back of the hall
- COtton... I have just been talking to your father..- i say as I walk towards him
- I knew you were here. I am happy to see you. Why have I not seen you yesterday on the hill, in Salem? You have missed a very good sermon. I have executed the sentence on Burroghs.- he amicably slaps a hand on my shoulder.
- Your father told me. You seem proud.- i ask leaning against the white wall.
- You seem hostile. You know my work, as much as I know yours. You know I feel I can detect evil molestation on the part of the spirits mostly when they are exerted by sinners. ANd Burroghs was a sinner.- he seems aware.
- On what basis has he sinned? Because he went to get strawberries in the fog and has disappeared for a while as his brother in law Cock has argued? - i remark.
- Moulder.. don't speak to me like that. you know like I do, that the Devil has resided in this New World beyond our arrival and I wander what village may be rid of its presence- he is actually convinced he can stop me from being curious and suspicious.
- I agree with you on that- and to this i swallow an image that goes straight thorugh my heart and through the eyes of my soul.
An obscure and obscene sabbath, at night, around a ritual fire...I push back the image and follow Cotton through the main hall.
My friend is taken by his explanation of the thesis.
- The strange occurrences of the invisible world in these lands have been deeply buried by the obscurity. But some of them have been preserved by the memories of honest and godfearing men, full of faith, that cannot be questioned. I trust the deputy governor and the other judges. The sacred words tell us about spirits that try to tempt the righteous ones - he continues but I interrupt him less than kindly, when we reach the bottom of a leafy oak.
- you are quoting from the history of the first Puritans, those who have seen with their own eyes - i add - .. the ghost ship in Connecticut in 1648?-
- Or as the case of Rebecca Grensmith, the witch, who 30 years or so ago...- but I ought to stop him again
- BUt she was not condemned to death!- i almost scream and then gather my composure again as he looks at me in surprise
- But...Moulder. Try to understand. This was an isolated case, the Lord was not trying our faith, like He is now. In Salem...we are facing at least 100 obvious cases!- he claims.
- What this is evidence of is only of Satan's capability to make us doubt of our own brothers and sisters. - I continue to argue
- you are right, this is an interesting theory, but we ought to drive out the evil in Salem: it is too close. WE cannot allow Satan to claim back the world we have taken back from his claws as we colonized these primitive lands. = after this, we stand in silence, for a span of time that allows us to think about our previous verbal exchange.
- Moulder you should marry. Maybe a young widow if you still want to follow family affairs. Unless I can convince you to become a pastor.- he smiles at me.
- Marrying? I ought to think of my parents, they are getting old. And my sister.- i answer guilty.
- You have already tried to have your sister back - he continues, knowing very well the occurrences within my family history - even my father intervened. Do you want to chase after her forever. You need to accept it. The Lord will enlighten you. - he urges me convinced.
- I can always move to the West. There exist a multitude of unknown tribes, perhaps I could find her there, grown up. alive. - i try to convince myself.
- I don't know if you should wish you find her there. Perhaps she has been convinced to live in sin, with those savages- his eyes look down, avoiding mine.
- You can always bring her back to the ways of Christ. - i try to say but a knot in my throat feels heavy.
- I know your determination, but the West. These are unexplored countries, I don't want to lose you. You could face huge dangers, believe me - he insists.
- WHy her, Cotton. Why not me? - I ask sincerely.
- I think we are predestined, that was her destiny. Your path is different. This is not your fault. Years have passed. I know you won't forget, but you ought to accept the Lord's wish. - he concludes.
I know I will never, ever accept that.
- Moulder. Leave these old stories behind and go back to Salem, to work. You made me curious, but I cannot follow your mind, sometimes you seem... blasphemous. Goodbye my friend - he concludes leaving me in the haunted pond of my tormented soul.


to be continued end part 5